Friday Sips

Join Us for Friday Sips!


$19.99 BTL./$239.88 CASE

There are three things in life that a person can count on…Two you already know, death & taxes, but the third is that the stellar Chateauneuf-du-Pape-based Domaine du Beaurenard will always produce an outstanding Rhone from the village of Rasteau. Cared for in the same manner as their top-drawer wines, the Rasteau always represents outstanding value.

Once again, this wine performs at a scintillating level. The warm and arms-open 2009 vintage is really on display. Prominent licorice, rose, plum-pepper, camphor and underlying exotic spices drive the aromas. Creamy, rich fruit seduces the palate; ginger, allspice and lavender arrive as it flows throughout the mouth. Large-scaled, but plenty of freshness and red tones bring it all into balance and take it home on the impressive finish. Very awesome juice that is lovable now and will drink well for 8-10 years. Kudos to Daniel & Frederic Coulon for holding pat on pricing and making this a real steal of a Rhône wine.

$16.99 BTL./$203.88 CASE

Since 1989 Alvaro Palacios has become Spanish wine royalty by being one of the influences having put two growing regions on the wine map, Priorat and Bierzo. What Alvaro has done with his family's Rioja estate in just over a decade is nothing less than extraordinary and one has to wonder how they can be of such great values given their apex quality. "…a blend 55% Tempranillo, 35% Garnacha and 10% Mazuelo, it has an uncomplicated, vanilla-tinged bouquet with ripe wild strawberry and cranberry fruit. The palate is medium-bodied with succulent tannins and the oak (14 months in used French) is well-integrated, lending structure and backbone on the finish. It is very composed and well-crafted, worthy of cellaring for 3 to 5 years. – 91 POINTS - THE WINE ADVOCATE"

$14.99 BTL./$179.88 CASE

An ambitious and thoughtful producer of wines ranging from the Maconnais all the way down to the southern Rhone, Eric Texier is one of France's terrific, non-manipulative micro-negociants. Having studied in Bordeaux, worked and explored Oregon and Italy, this open-minded producer produces wines that always deliver personality and strong presence of terroir all at fair prices. The 2010 Cotes-du-Rhone is flat-out delicious stuff! Showing the diversity of the Rhone's terroirs, The blend here is 80% Grenache with Cinsault, Carignan and actually some white grapes making up the other 20% and all of the fruit coming from the Vaucluse, the Gard (western bank of Rhone River) and the Drome (the Northern portion of the Rhone). Killer juice that shows aromatic and soulful cherry, soulful provençal earth tones, herbs, spices, almost a hint of peach skin and the tell-tale Grenache perppery aspect. Succulent, mouth-filling along with plenty of elevation, this is an excellent Cotes-du-Rhone that will pair well with numerous dishes both classic Southern French to Asian-inspired cuisine.

SPECIAL FRIDAY SIPS Drop by TODAY Friday September 14 to meet local cookbook write Diane Morgan from 3:30-6:30

Join us to welcome Portland Cook Book Writer "Par Excellence" Diane Morgan and celebrate the release of her latest title ""Roots: The Definitive Compendium". Diane will bring copies of all her cookbooks for your perusal and purchase. "Grill Everyday" is a staple in Karen's cookbook collection. Diane is a most engaging and delightful person. You will love cooking her recipes even more once you have gotten to know her. Clink the link to visit her website!